Wednesday, November 16, 2011

In the begining

My layout started with an Iain Rice plan, the Lilliput Logger.  This formed the basic track plan for the peninsula.  The port area is another Iain Rice plan called the Loleta & Mad River.  A track plan evolved to join the two together.  Because I loved Bob Hayden's Thatcher's Inlet, I included Sam Cahoon's Fishhouse and Fish-Head Fertilizer (both scratch built).  As my railroad progressed, I read too many MR's and wound up with the gnawing feeling that my railroad had no history or bases in fact, what to do?  Ah, the internet.  Since Iain Rice drew from the Arcata and Mad River Railroad for his Loleta & Mad River plan, I started there. I stumbled upon the California & Oregon Coast Railroad Co.  Founded in 1911 by the city of Grants Pass to connect with a 1906 - constructed, 15.7 miles long logging railroad, the Crescent City and Smith River Railroad.  The rails only made it 15 miles west before it went into receivership.  Perfect, I can make up my own railroad, oh thats what I had already done!

2 comments:

  1. Larry don't forget Dave Frary was also involved in building the Thatcher's Inlet. I sat in on a Frary and Hayden clinic last month in Peabody, Mass. They discussed their HOn30 modeling over the last 4 decades...including coverage of the Thatchers Inlet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have corrected my notes. Should have known that as I still have that article, thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete