Monday, August 20, 2018


I need a lighthouse for the port so I cut the bottom section off a chimney for the tower. Then a hole was cut into it for a window. A door was made up for the entrance. With 6 structural steel members, and a platform made using a hole saw, a skirt made from thin styrene, and a railing, the deck for the light was constructed. The bottom of a pill bottle add some needed height for the glass around the light (a bead container). Assorted parts including the cap from a kids squeeze from a tube dessert, a pull from a blind and some styrene made up the roof. With a light that's 24 parts in all.

Almost finished.

Sunday, August 5, 2018

Funny thing happened on the way to the Bakery

Using some old castings a rocky out crop was fashioned on the curve into O'Brien. When using drywall compound to join all the castings together it dries unrealistically and shiny.

 To fix this you have to let it dry a bit and then add in the rock strata, cracks and contours that follow the casting lines. I like to use a plastic palette knife and a stiff brush to work the compound as it dries. To speed up the drying I thought i would use a heat gun. All that did was create a crust but it did speed up the drying and when working it, the crust cracked and crumbled in a realistic way. After I finished the rocks to my liking, I looked over the area.

 Oh No! The heat gun did more than dry the Plaster!  It melted my guard rail wires and a Bakery delivery van, mostly the wheels. Hmm, I do have a town truck. Well let's make a accident scene. You can see how I have started to stage the scene in the picture below, broken wires, bent wheels and all.