Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Dirt road experiment.

First off, I think most roads I have seen modeled, are too rocky. My go to is powered local clay. The trouble is to get it smooth and keep it that way while gluing it. In my previous project, ballasting the transfer yard in Grants Pass,  I needed a road to the maintenance shed. Sprinkling the powdered clay and wetting and gluing it caused it to puddle. Spreading the soupy clay with my finger left unnatural ridge lines, but what else could be done? I have had good success brushing soupy drywall compound for river bottoms, so why not soupy clay? As it happens there are lots of gravel roads to be done. So after wetting and adding my glue mixture to some clay I painted the road with it. I should have painted the plaster Brown first, as some of the white plaster showed through.

Well that seems to have worked so back to road to the maintenance shed. Although it had dried some, the brush did smooth it out, but left many little striations behind. We will see what they look like when they dry.

 Well that didn't work, should have known it would dry and crack.
The 'ruts' left by the brush look not bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment